Friday, January 30, 2009

To Simon


Ten minutes ago, you were that little devil, running around wildly, screaming hard, naked, waving a lightsaber in your hand, hitting Tahoe without saying sorry.
Now, you are lying in my arm.
Quietly, sweetly, curiously.
You asked me to read story books.
We read one after another.
"The firefly thought he has found a friend,
but it was a candle burning in the night;
The firefly thought he has found a friend,
but it was a torchlight shining in the night;
....... "

You let me caress your blond hair.
You let me kiss your soft soft skin.
Maybe someday, I can make a good mom, too.
I said, "I love you, Simon."
You said, "I love you, too."
I looked at you in the eyes; how much I hoped that you would always remember this moment.

On your first day of school, you told your school teacher proudly that you had two friends- one was Sam, one was Grace.
You were the funny boy, who, when the Chinese food-deliver guy showed up at the door, angrily turned away, as you found out it was not Grace who was coming.
Man, I laughed so hard.
To you, the Chinese is Grace. Everything about China and Chinese noodles are just Grace's properties.
One day, you'll find out that on the other side of the world, there's a vast land called China. On that land, there are several billions people who look just like me.

I wonder how you will be like in 20 years.
You'll wear a leather jacket, starting your own rock band.
You'll ride a motorcycle, with your girlfriend sitting in the back; her hair flung in the air.
You'll wear a big bag pack,touring around Tibet alone.
You'll be a lot taller than your mom.
You and her stand in front of your college dorm; you hug her and tell her to not worry.

You know, Simon, when I was watching the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I thought of you.
I understand the feeling of that father who can't stay beside his daughter, watching her growing up.
Life is all about time. Nothing is more truthful than that.

I love you, Simon, and will always do.

No comments: