Sunday, December 28, 2008

A moment


I thought of a talk that an Indian lady gave to us at HDES. The lady spoke British English with a very slight, if not imperceptible, Indian accent. Her talk, regarding aesthetics and environment, was very intriguing. So interesting that I grabbed a piece of paper by hand and took copious notes of her ideas on beauty, taste, nature, and Kant. I remember she talked about according to Kant, while the taste is socially constructed, beauty is not. Beauty is natural and universal. Her point was then, of course, almost sniffed at by the sociology student A, who has a giant body and funny long hair. Bourdieu was used to counter Kant, for it is believed that all things, including culture itself, are only a temple of the society. Beauty is cultural capital, while what accounts for beauty and what is recognized as forming beauty can only be cultural capital. Man, I also remember how tired I was of Bourdieu, of sociology, of class. If Kant was idealist, and if beauty was only imagination, let them be, for the very idea itself is beautiful. We all tolerate and adore beautiful things and people, don't we? How Bourdieu has to be used to explain this human nature?

Damn it, where is that piece of paper which had all my notes on that Indian lady's beautiful description of Kant and beauty? Where is it? I'm digging through my piles of papers;my memories flashing back with randomness;lost in my small yet elusive world.

No comments: