Wednesday, December 20, 2006

academic writing

Don't flatter me that I know I'm not good at it. I still remember the fear-how it grasped me and swallowed me-when I was writing my thesis. Yes, I still remember Alastair Morrison's critics "like usual, it took me a long time to edit it". I wish I could internalize the ability of those marvelous writers and researchers-the skillful and artistic mastery they have in using this language to express their thoughts. All stress comes from how to improvise, how to tailor the words and sentences to reflect your thoughts.

I have realized that I'm doing a better job now. When Carla Santos handed me the two new papers I worked on this semester, she commented that I've done a great job without any hesitation. I was flattered, yet I found myself struggling in believing she was saying this because she truly thought so or she was just encouraging me since she was fully aware of my lack of confidence in the academic writing.

If life is all about conquering all the difficulties to be the person you want to be (that must be an agressive school of view), I've just made my first tiny leap.

1 comment:

maree said...

u always have definite goals in ur life, which enables u to achieve much earlier than common people.

merry christmas!